Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Creating A Name

Naming things can be hard to do. Finding the right combination of just the right words that perfectly describes all aspects of something is a daunting task. I usually sit and think for a while, take a trip to my favorite online thesaurus, and do a little research. I open up a blank document and start throwing words around until I find the most appropriate medley. However, every now and then something clicks right away; it just makes sense.
So when I decided I wanted to start a blog the question of its title was something I asked myself rather quickly.
I knew I wanted to blog about my home, my renovation, my daughter, my family... But how could I properly title my tale? I stopped for a moment and asked myself what I associated with the term “home” and I found myself taking a trip down memory lane, to my childhood. Ever since my parents divorced when I was 13 I’ve found that “home” is really quite relative. But before that mega milestone in my life, home was where we were all a family and everything was great. And that took place in my childhood home, in the small, no, miniscule town of Center Point, Indiana, on Harmony Road.
It was the kind of town where parents told their kids to be home before the street lights came on and you knew where all the neighborhood kids were by simply locating a pile of bikes in someone’s front yard.  And if you couldn’t find that pile? Well, then good luck finding us.  We had a perfect little hardware store that sold us candy and pop by the glass bottle. Not just one but two parks, and the perfect amount of woods to play in. We even had a town bully. The house wasn’t big, but the memories I made with my brother and sister… those were grand. And I want nothing less for my family.
While I can’t give my family all the perks that came along with a simplistic life in Small Town, Indiana, I can definitely do my best to create that feeling of family, blanket of security, and sense of home that I had growing up on Harmony Road.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this and the photo brought back such a flood of memories. You 3 were certainly a cute trio. Burke will never have to worry about being loved and having all the perks a little girl could have.

    ReplyDelete